Happy New Year 2012!

The year 2011 threw many significant events at me. It was a year of ongoing changes and movement. I believe I can say for sure that 2011 was not a quiet year. The process may have been stressful and frustrating, but the happy moments are worth it.

On 20 February 2011, my bee and I had our marriage registration ceremony at university, the place where we met and fell in love. This was just a legal ceremony, and so we didn’t have an audience. Only two of our friends were with us as witnesses. It was a humble but joyous event for the both of us.

On 4 May 2011, it was the big move from Canada to the US of A. I remember rushing to sell all my furniture as well as donating most of my household items and clothing; items of which I had collected and owned over the past 8 years of my life in Canada. The hardest one to say goodbye to was “James”, my sedan Mazda3. My very first car of which I bought with my own income. To some, it is just a car and it is replaceable. But I am sure everyone remembers the feeling of owning their very first car just like any other proud moments in life. We shared good and bad times. Unfortunately, it was a year of winter driving accidents for James as well. James suffered a blow to the front bumper when we hit the ditch after skidding on black ice. Moreover, some idiot kid decided that it would be really cool to vandalize my car by etching his art on my car door. Of course, in the end all of these are still objects. The saddest part was leaving friends. Knowing that I won’t be able to hang out with them at dim sum, bubble tea, the shopping mall, or at Cora’s; knowing that they won’t be just an hour drive away anymore; knowing that I will miss them a whole lot …

Resigning from my company was also very emotional for me. To most people, it may not be as sad as I make it to be. However, this is my first job. My first plunge into a career of which I wasn’t even sure what to make out of it. Of the 4 years at the company, I have made new friends and very precious relationships. I still remember how I sobbed at the farewell lunch. In all honesty, it was hard and I did try my very best to hold back the tears. It may have been silly, but it was real.

The physical process of the move was difficult and exhausting but I was very excited to be with my bee after one year of long-distance dating (we’ve been together for 6 years and this has been the most challenging time of our relationship). Moving to Houston, TX, USA meant starting all over from square one. Making new friends, getting a new job, adjusting to the new environment … living the American life?

Although, I only stayed in Houston for three months before I was off on the jetplane again, on my way home to Malaysia. I decided to head back home a couple months early in preparation for our actual wedding celebration. It was very hectic as my parents were also moving house. Also, learning to deal with my acne problem was not easy, especially when there’s so much pressure to become a beautiful bride.

The wedding in KL (hosted by my family) was lots of fun. It’s funny how I can’t seem to recall much of the details as I was super tired that day. Not to mention the days leading up to the wedding as well. But on 3 December 2011, my body was functioning only on 2 hours of sleep. Nevertheless, it was filled with so much love, support, and fun! The wedding celebration continued ten days later in Brunei (hosted by groom’s family). This day was full of surprises as my hubby’s cousins planned lots of games for us to play! It was awesome!

On 16 December 2011, we got on the plane heading towards Boracay, Philippines. The beach here looks like paradise. Although, I did feel it was a bit too crowded and commercialized. When I looked towards the sea, and took a dip in the clear, blue waters … I felt peace. We had a scary experience on our first night in Boracay. Till today we are still not sure if one of our friend’s drink was drugged. Fortunately, our safety was unharmed, and we convinced ourselves not to have any meals/drinks around Station 3. Helmet diving and sunset sailing was very enjoyable.The only bad part of the trip was dealing with Cebu Pacific airlines, who cancelled our flights going into and out of Boracay … terrible customer service and quality.

After six days of gallivanting on the beach, we returned to Brunei to celebrate Christmas with family. Two days later, we had another family gathering at one of my hubby’s uncle’s place. The party just doesn’t stop …

As for New Year’s eve, we headed back to KL to celebrate at my parent’s place. We had the most spectacular view of the fireworks display around KL from the rooftop of the house. Since Chinese New Year is just around the corner, we “lo yee sang” after the New Year’s countdown.

And now … my bee and I are back in the US of A. What does the new year hold for us newlyweds? Well, whatever it may be, I hope we both have the courage to sail through it and keep our relationship happy and supportive. We both miss family and home already. New Year’s resolution? I haven’t even thought about it! Time to get this brain storming for ideas 🙂

Happy New Year!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s