I was laughing so hard when I came across this comment at Dr M’s blog.
A.kum YBhg Tun,
1. Tun why u so pround with English? Why not u write in bahasa Melayu.
2. No wonder UMNO weak now days because their Leader him self prefer English rather than Bahasa Melayu.
3. In America, Britain, Australia still got more jobless even they using English.
4. I hope your next topic is in Malay. Tun takan tak tahu ramai lagi orang-orang Melayu di Kota Star, Baling, Kuala Nerang dan Sik masih tak faham English.
5. Jadi minta Tun tulislah dalam Bahasa Melayu supaya mereka juga boleh baca dan faham apa yang Tun tulis.
Common sense: the majority of blogs on the internet are communicated through English. Why can’t Dr M write in English? I don’t think it should be a question of whether one is proud to use English or Malay. It depends on the situation and intent.
Seriously. Is this even a valid point? Quit with the traditional Melayu patriotism views – we’re in the 21st century for god’s sake !! There are many ways to show our patriotism as Malaysians, and the first thing that we need to address is accepting each other as Malaysians; as a multi-lingual and multi-racial country. If we can stop arguing loudly or quietly in our minds over which race is better … which language should be preserved … which religion should be official … I think Malaysia would be a better place for all to live in.
Unemployment rates has got NOTHING to do with using the English language. I don’t know what was going through this person’s mind. It seems like he has his whole life against the English language. You know how emotions such as sorrow, depression and anger can lead a person to make irrational decisions? This is what he sounds like. Bitter as a bittergourd, and he just keeps chewing on and on.
Point#4 and Point#5
At least, this makes *a little* sense. And I do agree that Dr M should communicate in Malay to those who are illiterate in English …
BUT, seriously … does everyone in the areas mentioned have Internet ???
Hard to believe, but perhaps many more out there have the same views as this crinky commenter.